Location: Dominical, Costa Rica
Hotel ‘Villas Rio Mar’ Dominical Costa Rica
Right in the area of the rapidly developing South Pacific coastline ‘’Costa Ballena’’ (= whale coast). In the district Ballena, part of the municipality of Osa, on the banks of the river Baru, just 800 meters from the small surfer's town of Dominical. A top tourist destination, close to five National Parks and various biological reserves. Dominical is on the cross-point of the coastal highway (the Costanera) and the intersection to San Isidro del General. A 2.5 hours drive from the international airport in San Jose.
The hotel comprises of 6.7 hectares of land (17 acres)
About 50 % of the land is used for construction and a mature exotic garden, 20% is available for future extensions, and another 30% is rainforest with a hiking path meandering along two small streams (quebradas). Because of its setting and architecture, Villas Rio Mar feels and sounds like a real jungle resort while on walking distance to the village.
Designed for the Eco-minded tourists from North America and Europe but a popular place for many Ticos as well. Construction and finishing of the accommodation is done in a Polynesian style and in full harmony with the environment. Total construction under roof totals a roughly 4.000 square meter (43.000 square feet), and non-roofed construction (both pools, a greenhouse, and a tennis court) is another 1.000 m2 (10.700 sqft). All buildings are interconnected by solid concrete sidewalks.
Fifteen 4-room bungalows spread over the garden and one separate suite. Altogether 61 rooms all with private terrace, a simple kitchen, hot water, aircon, internet, and TV.
Two condo apartments in front of the hotel (used by management and staff).
Sporting facilities like a tennis court (hard court), mini-golf, and outdoor gym.
A recently restyled and renovated 220 m2 pool with extensive and furnished terraces around.
A new 70 m2 swimming pool (15 x 4,5) for exercising.
An open Reception area with offices and a sanitary block,
500 m2 basic construction for the laundry, a maintenance bodega, and lodging for the staff (16 huts).
A 150-seat restaurant/bar (350m2) with spacious professional kitchen; connection to the pool bar.
an 80-seat conference room (120 m2) connected to the restaurant.
A new entrance road enabling cars to come into the back of the property.
New high-speed internet & cable television (fiber optic) and a professional camera security system all over the property.
- 13 junior suites (2 KS beds)
- 40 superior rooms (one KS and one single bed),
- 4 kitchen Suites (cooking facilities, 2 QS beds),
- 4 standard rooms (one KS bed).
Many new projects are in various stages of development bringing new capital and more people, both foreigners and locals alike. Comparable hotel operations currently on the market offer far less for the same value as this offering. Financials are available to qualifed prospective buyers with a signed non-disclosure.
- Occupancy just below the 70% on a yearly basis; in high season (8 months) between 70 and 90%, in low season between 30 and 55% (May. June, September, October).
- Average net rate on a yearly basis: $ 81 (after commission and excl. 13% taxes).
- 60% of occupancy is pre-sold to more than 150 travel agents.
- In 2019, 27% of the clients are from the USA/Can, 47% from Europe, and 26% from Latin America (predominantly Costa Rica).
- excellent position on TripAdvisor and OTA’s like Expedia and Booking.com; number one in the list of ‘’the best value for money’’ in the Dominical area.
- The biggest hotel in the South Pacific; very suitable for Groups.
- Loyal and experienced staff (39).
- Established a reputation for many years (25).
- The key to its success is Comfort with Nature and Adventure, close to the village and the Beach.
- ICT licensed with a 3-star rating and a 3-leaves certification for sustainable tourism.